Thursday, February 20, 2014

Free Rice

I heard about this website at a conference that I recently attended and decided to check it out with my 4th grade students. The website is called freerice.com and the extremely unique thing about this website is that you can earn rice for people in impoverished countries. The students thought that this was the coolest thing!

I played around with the website a little bit and found that it has some pretty cool features.  Here are some of the things that I was able to do:

  • Create an account for myself and my students and then form a group for my fourth graders. The website allows you to add up to 40 students under your account
  • Set up competitions between the students  
  • Select vocabulary words from a variety of sections. Some of the sections include; english vocabulary, math vocabulary, countries and spanish
  • Give students their login information to access the site from home


It is a great resource for some extra vocabulary development and a unique chance for students to feel like their work at school matters and can make a difference. I will definitely be using this website for my older students for the rest of the school year. Check it out and let me know what you think!

http://freerice.com/#/english-vocabulary/1533

No comments:

Post a Comment